How do you know if you might be in a relationship with someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder?
A diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder would contain at least five of these nine characteristics:
- Grandiose sense of self-importance. Exaggerates achievements and talents. Expects to be recognized as superior without achievements.
- Preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love.
- Believes he or she is special and unique. Can only be understood by other special people.
- Requires excessive admiration.
- Sense of entitlement. (Such as expectations of especially favorable treatment).
- Interpersonally exploitative.
- Lacks empathy. Unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
- Envious of others. Believes others are envious of him or her.
- Arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.